July 19, 2017 at 4:30pm
East Lansing Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting
Library Conference Room
950 Abbot Rd.
1) Call to Order
Dodgson called the meeting to order at 4:33pm.
2) Roll Call
Trustees Dodgson, Smith and Wilkinson were present. Trustees Zaagman and Cervenak were absent. Also present were Friends Treasurer Toba Kaplowitz, Head of Customer Experiences Jason Shoup and Library Director Kristin Shelley. An East Lansing High School student was in the audience. City Council Liaison Erik Altmann arrived at 4:35pm.
A) Approval of June 28, 2017 Meeting Minutes
All in favor.
B) Approval of Current Meeting Agenda
Shelley requested the addition of two New Business items to the agenda:
• Discussion on the Bath Township Library levy
• Discussion on controversial book
Smith moved to approve the meeting agenda with the addition of the two New Business items.
All in favor.
A) Audience: none
B) Written Correspondence
• Thank you card from the building committee from the Portage District Library.
• Five star review from Facebook
• Thank you email from the League of Women Voters
A) City Council Liaison Report
Altmann reported on:
• Harbor Bay Project
• Park District Project
• Addition of an income tax ballot question and a property tax reduction ballot question
B) Friends of the East Lansing Public Library Report
Kaplowitz reminded the board of the Hawk Hollow Fundraiser on August 22, 2017 and the Book and Bag sale on October 14 and 15, 2017.
6) Old Business: None
7) New Business
A) Fiscal Year 2018 Action Plan draft and discussion
Shelley provided a written draft of the Fiscal Year 2018 Action Plan. Discussion included:
• Donation to the library equal to the lease of 10 solar panels at the MI Community Solar Park
• Estate planning event
• Ideas generated from attending sessions at the American Library Association’s Annual Conference
• Process of getting a library card
• Possible consulting project from the University of Michigan Master’s of Library Science program
• Marketing position and library logo
• Partnerships with NCG, Gateway Youth Services and Wharton Center
• Coffee with the Library Director
B) Discussion on Bath Township Library Levy
Shelley informed the board that the Bath Township Trustees are considering a .68 mill levy question on the November ballot for a Bath Library. Discussion included the impact this may have on our non-resident cardholders.
C) Discussion on controversial book
Shelley informed the board that the book “Dangerous” by Milo Yiannopoulos was self-published after publisher Simon & Schuster cancelled the contract amid controversy. She added that only one library in Michigan at this time, has added the book to their collection. Wilkinson moved to table the discussion until library staff have reviewed the book. Smith seconded. All in favor.Motion carried.
8) Library Reports
A) American Library Association Annual Conference Report
Shelley shared a written report from Shoup, Douglass and herself on their attendance at the American Library Association’s Annual Conference. Discussion included:
• Analysis and data driven programs, services and marketing
• Keynote speakers
• Employee training
• Social Justice programming
B) Financial Report
Shelley provided a draft of the Fiscal Year 2017 year-end budget.
C) Director’s Report
Shelley provided a written Director’s Report. Discussion included:
• Summer Reading Kick-Off with the Verve Pipe concert
• Small increase in print circulation
• 10% increase in digital circulation
• Summer Reading Program statistics
• Bookworms at the Broad program
D) President’s Report
Dodgson congratulated Wilkinson on his re-appointment to the Library Board of Trustees. She thanked Smith for her year as President of the Library Board of Trustees.
• Shelley received a certification of appreciation from the East Lansing Rotary Club
• Shelley received a statement of accomplishment from the Philanthropy University of the Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkley
• Shelley reminded the board that National Night Out/Touch-a-Truck is August 1 from 6-8pm at the library
Wilkinson moved to adjourn the meeting.
All in favor.
Dodgson adjourned the meeting at 5:47pm.