The East Lansing Public Library provides a place and resources where people gather to share information and ideas to enrich lives and foster community.
The East Lansing Public Library enriches, connects and transforms lives through knowledge and innovation.
- We provide free and equal access to library resources and facilities.
- We support the open exchange of information and of ideas.
- We value the patron's right to know and right to read.
- We value diversity.
- We are free and open to all.
- We strive for transparency in library policies and practices.
- We are good stewards of the resources entrusted to us.
- We are accountable for ensuring the proper use of public funds.
- We strive to provide excellent customer service to our patrons through honesty, trust, integrity and respect.
- We foster partnerships with the City of East Lansing and other community organizations that are integral in expanding our library's image of a cooperative organization that fosters life-long learning and is a cornerstone of the East Lansing community.
- We respond appropriately to emerging practices and anticipate changes in our community.
- We pride ourselves in setting our library apart through our pursuit of innovation as a means to keep our library service contemporary, vibrant and relevant for our patrons.
- We have an administration that values and environment where change is not feared, where new concepts are sought out and explored, where creative ideas can flourish and where decisions are made looking forward.
- We value the attainment of literacy, knowledge and information.
- We are committed to providing resources and opportunities to support various types of literacy including reading, financial, computer, technology and more.
- We strive to be a leader in early childhood literacy initiatives.
- We promote and create a learning environment.
- We value continuing education for library staff.
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees 3/21/2018