Mutual respect makes it possible for everyone to enjoy library materials and services.
The Library Board of Trustees is responsible for determining the rules for public behavior in the Library that are necessary to:
- Protect the safety of individuals and preserve their right to use Library property, materials, and services;
- Protect the safety of Library employees and volunteers and preserve their right to conduct Library business without interference;
- Preserve Library materials and facilities from harm.
Library employees are authorized to bring to an individual's attention any act or omission which violates these rules.
These rules are in addition to the City of East Lansing Ordinance, Chapter 108, Disorderly Conduct, Sections 9-101-9-104; and state and federal statutes which apply. The rules and regulations included in this policy are cited by way of illustration and not limitation.
Behavior that Interferes with the rights of other’s includes, but is not limited to:
- Leaving children under age 9 unattended.
- Being unreasonably noisy including: loud talking, singing, cell phone and audio/visual equipment usage.
- Using profane, obscene or abusive language; racial, sexual orientation or ethnic epithets.
- Harassing patrons or staff. Deliberate repeated behavior that is intimidating, hostile, or offensive, or adversely impacts others. Including staring; noisy, boisterous activities; accosting; molesting; or otherwise annoy by touching, word of mouth, by sign or motion any person.
- Damaging, destroying or stealing any property belonging to the library, another patron or staff.
- Using the internet for unlawful purposes as defined by federal, state and local laws.
- Loitering or interfering with the ingress or egress of others in or on library premises.
- Soliciting, petitioning, distributing written materials or canvassing inside the library, including the doorway or vestibule, or in a manner that interferes with or impedes access to the library.
- Snoring or being disruptive while sleeping.
- Gambling, panhandling, soliciting money.
- Trespassing, violating an exclusion to the library, or entering upon library property when banned.
- Fighting, challenging someone to fight, physical abuse or assault.
- Engaging in or soliciting a sexual act. Indecent exposure.
- Dressing improperly, including bare feet, no shirt, pants not fully on.
- Committing theft, vandalism or other illegal acts which are subject to prosecution.
- Photographing, videotaping of library property, staff, volunteers and patrons should only be done with consent of Library Director and/or individuals.
- Being under the influence, possessing alcohol or drugs, selling drugs or alcoholic beverages.
- Bathing, shaving or washing clothes on the premises.
- Roller skating, roller blading, skateboarding.
- Bringing animals, other than service animals, into the library.
- Smoking, chewing tobacco or using e-cigarettes.
- Having offensive body odor.
- Committing or attempting any activity in violation of any federal, state or local statute, ordinance or regulation.
- Bringing in to the library or on library premises any weapons, unless otherwise permitted by law.
- Engaging in other acts disruptive to patrons and staff.
If you are confronted with the violation of any of these rules, please inform a staff member immediately.
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees:
November 25, 1986
Revised: June 16, 2004
Revised: January 16, 2008
Revised: April 17, 2013
Revised: March 15, 2017