The COVID-19 pandemic has changed how the East Lansing Public Library will conduct business for the foreseeable future. In addition, it has changed how public spaces will be used and how business can be conducted.
The East Lansing Public Library Board of Trustees has passed the Pandemic Code of Conduct to supplement and work in conjunction with the library’s Patron Code of Conduct. The supplemental Code will be in effect once the library reopens to the public and remain in effect until the Board, under the guidance of local officials, health officials and the Governor, deems it safe to relax these codes. These patron guidelines are derived from information from the Center of Disease Control, OSHA-COVID-19, Ingham County Health Department, the Governor’s office and local officials. Our primary concern, at all times, is to keep library patrons and staff as safe as possible.
The Pandemic Patron Code of Conduct states:
- Patrons are required to wear a face mask or face covering while in the library. This includes children aged five years and older per guidelines from the American Association of Pediatrics
- Patrons must physically distance themselves, at least six feet, from other patrons and staff while in the library and on library property
- A limited number of patrons are allowed in the building at one time
- Library users will be allowed in the library a maximum of 60 minutes per visit
- Children under the age of nine must be directly supervised by a parent or responsible caregiver age 15 and over at all times while in the library
- The large Community/Meeting Room will be closed to patrons
- The Maker Studio will be closed to patrons
- Only two patrons at a time will be allowed in the small study/meeting rooms numbered 2, 3 and 4
- The North Foyer restrooms will be closed to patrons
- Drinking fountains will be closed
- Furniture cannot be moved. Furniture needs to remain where it is placed to maintain physical distancing of six feet
Approved by the East Lansing Board of Trustees on May 29, 2020
Approved by the East Lansing Public Library Board of Trustees on 2/17/2021