July 6, 2023 5:00 p.m.
East Lansing Public Library Board of Trustees Special Meeting
Library Large Meeting Room
950 Abbot Road
The East Lansing Public Library occupies the ancestral, traditional and contemporary lands of the Anishinaabeg Three Fires confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa and Potawatomi peoples land ceded in the 1819 Treaty of Saginaw.
1. Call to Order 5:00 p.m.
2. Roll Call
Trustees present: Polly Synk, Amy Zaagman, Pam Smith, Ameenah Asante and Shawn Nicholson. Executive Assistant to Director Shori Teeple and thirteen guests also present.
3.1 Approval of Current Meeting Agenda
All in favor
4.1 Proposal received from Library IQ related to interim director search.
4.2 One application received from City HR for interim director posting.
5.1 Public Comment - limited to five minutes per person
6. Old Business
7. New Business
7.1 Discussion and possible action on interim library leadership
- Discussions shared with former staff and others regarding interim qualifications.
- Permanent director position will require MLIS degree; interim does not.
- Postings to be amended to reflect more relaxed requirements.
- Interviewing process and plans discussed; will schedule interviews once more applications received. Synk will confirm receipt of app with applicant.
- Library processes reviewed. Admin/supervisory staff to maintain procedures until interim director is hired with board approvals as needed.
- Staff to be involved in director search.
7.2 Discussion about items requested by Board of Trustees of former Director Kristin Shelley before July 7 departure date
- Response to board request for information related to staffing needs has not been received by Board from former Director Shelley as of today's date.
Synk adjourned the meeting at 6:14 p.m.
Board of Trustees
Polly Synk, President
Amy Zaagman, Vice President
Pamela Smith, Secretary
City Council Liaison