April 20, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
East Lansing Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting
Library Large Meeting Room
950 Abbot Road
1. Call to Order 4:30 p.m. New Trustee Pamela Smith was welcomed to the Board.
2. Roll Call
Trustees present were: Diane Goddeeris, Polly Synk, Amy Zaagman, Lance Wilkinson and Pamela Smith. Also, in attendance were City Councilmember Liaison George Brookover, Friends President Maureen McCabe-Power, Friends Vice President Shelia Taylor, Director Kristin Shelley, Assistant Director/Head of Customer Experiences Brice Bush, and Executive Assistant to the Director Shori Teeple. There was one attendee from the public.
3.1 Approval of March 16, 2022 Meeting Minutes
All in favor
3.2 Approval of April 4, 2022 Special Meeting Minutes
All in favor
3.3 Approval of Current Meeting Agenda
All in favor
- A thank you card from a patron was shared.
4.2 Public Comment - limited to two minutes per person
5.1 City Council Liaison Report:
- No report was shared.
5.2 Friends of the East Lansing Public Library Report
- Friends account is over $60,000.
- New website is live and Friends are on Twitter and Facebook.
- FriendShop is highlighting special collections.
- Current newsletter was shared.
6. Old Business
6.1 Board Bylaws - discussion
- Further edits to bylaws were discussed.
- A final draft will be proposed at the May 19 meeting.
7. New Business
7.1 Summer Reading Program 2022 - Update
- Theme will be 'Oceans of Possibilities' with kickoff event on June 6 from 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. There will be a family DJ dance party and other activities.
- Summer programming will include reading challenges, outdoor yoga events for all ages, stories in the garden and other presenter programs.
- Summer Reading Program will conclude with National Night Out/Touch-A-Truck event, which is being planned for August 2 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- Library on the Go summer schedule was shared, including appearances in local parks and the Farmer's Market.
8. Library Reports
8.1 Conference Reports
- Innovative Users Group Conference - highlights from Scott Drapalik's written report were shared.
- Public Library Association Conference - highlights from Shelley/Bush written report were shared.
- Michigan Library Association Spring Institute - highlights from Gillian Streeter and Janis Salomon's written reports were shared.
8.2 Financial Report
- Fund Balance Report
- Printed financial and fund balance reports were shared.
8.3 Director's Report
- A written report was shared.
8.4 President's Report
- President Goddeeris attended virtual millage workshops presented by the Library of Michigan.
- Interviews for board applicants went very well. New Trustee Pamela Smith was again welcomed to the board.
9.1 Seed library has been very popular with patrons.
9.2 Books, Baskets and Bids 2022 fundraiser is underway and will close on April 25.
9.3 Library will be closed for electrical updates on Friday April 22.
9.4 A staff in-service will be held at City Hall from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on April 22.
Goddeeris adjourned the meeting at 5:18 p.m.
Board of Trustees
Diane Goddeeris, President
Polly Synk, Vice President
Amy Zaagman, Secretary
City Council Liaisons