Mental Health Resources

If you’re struggling with your mental health, there are professionals available who can help.

Check out some of the resources below:

Michigan 2-1-1

Michigan 2-1-1 is an easy way to find help of all kinds, right in your community. Call or text 2-1-1 and an operator will connect you to local resources; operators are available 24/7 and offer help in 180+ languages. You can also live chat online or use a keyword search on their website to find what you're looking for.

This service is free, confidential, and available 24/7, year-round. In addition to mental health support, Michigan 2-1-1 has resources available to help with utilities, housing, food, and healthcare.  

Community Mental Health Authority of Clinton, Eaton & Ingham Counties

The Community Mental Health Authority of Clinton, Eaton & Ingham Counties (CMHA-CEI) is a public agency serving children and adults in Clinton, Eaton and Ingham Countries. There are several ways to contact the CMHA-CEI:

Access Center

Toll Free: 888-800-1559
Local: (517)346-8318
For services, call the Access Center 24/7.
You will be asked several questions regarding your needs and treatment history. If you appear to meet eligibility criteria, you will be scheduled for a face-to-face assessment to confirm your eligibility. 

24-hour Crisis Services (Walk-in & Mobile)

Adult Crisis Services
Toll Free: 800-372-8460
Local: (517) 346-8460
Walk-in Available 24/7
812 E. Jolly Road, Lansing, MI

Children's Crisis Services
Local: (517) 346-8008
Walk In Available 24/7
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
5303 S. Cedar Street, Bld. 2, Lansing, MI
Weekend & After Hours
812 E. Jolly Road, Lansing, MI

Customer Service

Toll Free: 877-333-8933
Local: (517) 346-8244

Visit, opens a new window for more information. 

If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call the Michigan Relay Center at 844-578-6563. Ask them to forward your call to the appropriate service number listed above.

MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS)

MSU CAPS is the place on campus for students seeking help for a wide range of concerns, including depression, anxiety, stress management, homesickness, adjustment or acculturation, relationships, issues around race, gender and sexual orientation (LBGTQ), substance abuse, traumatic experiences, eating or body image concerns, and other personal mental health concerns. CAPS combines the clinical services of counseling and psychiatry in one setting.

There are a number of ways students can access support for their health and well-being, including their mental health. Some available services through CAPS include:

  • Self-guided online resources
  • 24/7 phone crisis counseling (Call 517-355-8270 and press "1" at the prompt.)
  • Drop-in crisis counseling (Drop in at CAPS in Olin Health Center, third floor, 8am - 5pm, Monday through Friday)
  • Referral coordination
  • Initial consultation with CAPS
  • Outreach services
  • Group Counseling
  • CAPS Connect
  • Bi-weekly individual and relationship counseling
  • Psychiatric services
  • Post-hospitalization care
  • Psychiatric hospitalization coordination

The MSU CAPS website also has extensive resource lists (beyond what is listed here) for anyone seeking additional support.

Visit Counseling & Psychiatric Services | Michigan State University ( for more information.

(517) 355-8270

Most CAPS services are located at Olin Health Center:

Counseling & Psychiatric Services
Olin Health Center, 3rd Floor
463 East Circle Dr.
East Lansing, MI 48824

Some CAPS services are located at the Union:

MSU Union
9 Abbot Rd
East Lansing, MI 48824

The Salus Center

The Salus Center is Lansing's only LGBTQ+ community center. They provide a variety of recreational and support group programs, and can connect you to support for mental health, health care, education, housing, legal aid, and more.

Visit for more information.


408 S Washington Sq.
Lansing, MI 48933

Wild Ferns Wellness

Wild Ferns Wellness is a holistic wellness center in Lansing that seeks to support women, Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BI-POC), LGBTQIA2S+ folks, and allies. They offer mental health counseling services, as well as a range of other services like massage, electrolysis, voice coaching, and more. Visit for more information.

2929 Covington Ct, Lansing, MI 48912

The Trevor Project:

The Trevor Project is a national initiative, and the leading suicide prevention and crisis intervention nonprofit organization for LGBTQ+ young people. They provide information & support 24/7, all year round.

Crisis counselors are available 24/7 via phone call, text, or live chat online. Learn more at

They also have educational resources available on a variety of LGBTQ+ topics.


  • MSU CAPS Crisis Services: Call (517) 355-8270 and press “1” at the prompt to speak with a crisis counselor.
  • The Listening Ear Crisis Hotline (Lansing, MI): 517-337-1717, or email at
  • National Suicide Prevention Hotline:               
    • For support in English: 1-800-273-8255 or call 988
    • For support in Spanish: 1-888-628-9454

  • SAMHSA's National Helpline (Treatment Referral Routing Service): This helpline provides 24-hour free and confidential treatment referral and information about mental and/or substance use disorders, prevention, and recovery. Call 1-800-662-HELP (4357). Available in English and Spanish.
  • Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860

Other Resources Available from ELPL:

Verilux HappyLight Therapy Lamps

As the days get darker and colder, many people may notice they struggle with symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). To support community wellness, East Lansing Public Library is glad to offer access to five Verilux HappyLight Therapy Lamps! Light therapy lamps mimic the sun’s rays, and may help boost your energy, mood, focus and sleep. Check them out here.

Want to learn more about a topic? Check out one of our reading lists:

We're always looking for ways to better support our community and connect you to more resources. Is there a community resource we're missing that you think we should add to this list? Let us know! Email Gabby at and we'll look into it.