In March of 1923, a group of women from the Child Conservation League established the East Lansing Public Library. They had $26 and a few boxes of books, and the library was housed in a room at Peoples Church. From there the library moved to the old City Hall, and in 1961 voters approved a construction bond for the new building. 1963 was the year the library moved into the current space at 950 Abbot Road.
The East Lansing Fire Department and WKAR are also celebrating 100 years of service this year. It's fun to look back and think about what a time of growth this was for the community. It's also time to celebrate!
ELPL will be hosting a 100th birthday celebration on Saturday, March 11, from 11am - 2pm. There will be harp music from Dorothea Fields, Maker Studio activities, face painting, congratulatory comments, and CAKE! David Andrews of WILX-TV10 will be our host.
Please join us as we begin our year long celebration of turning 100!