October 23, 2019 at 4:30pm
East Lansing Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting
Library 3/4 Meeting Rooms
950 Abbot Road
1) Call to Order 4:30pm
2) Roll Call
Trustees present were Lance Wilkinson, Diane Goddeeris, and Polly Synk. Trustees Zaagman and Cervenak were absent. Also, in attendance were City Council Liaison Erik Altmann, Friends Representative Sheila Taylor, Assistant Director/Head of Customer Experiences Brice Bush and Director Kristin Shelley.
A) Approval of September 18, 2019 Meeting Minutes
All in favor.
B) Approval of Current Meeting Agenda
All in favor.
A) Audience: None
B) Written Correspondence
Shelley shared two email correspondences: one from patron Tedda Hughes, the other from an OCLC representative.
A) City Council Liaison Report:
- Hannah Community Center Committee presentation.
- Deer management presentation.
- The Evergreen project was voted down.
B) Friends of the East Lansing Public Library Report
- The next Friends meeting will be held on 10/28/2019.
- Marta Litos was announced as the new Friends Board Treasurer.
- Courtney Trunk has joined the Friends Board as an At-Large member.
6) Old Business
A) Staffing Update
- Marques Moore has joined the staff as the STEAM Educator.
- Natalie Johnston joined the Library as the Youth Services Specialist.
7) New Business:
A) Paid Time Off Pay Out Policy
Discussion of possible changes to the PTO, Bereavement, Resignation, Grandfathered Sick Time, and Educational Reimbursement personnel policies. No action taken, topic to be revisited next meeting.
B) City Charter Changes
Discussion of possible changes to the City Charter Chapter 17, City Library. No action taken, topic to be revisited next meeting.
8) Library Reports
A) Financial Report
Shelley provided a written Financial Report.
B) Director's Report
- East Lansing Welcomes the World was a success held on a Friday evening for the first time; attended by nearly 400 people
- Author and professional Chef Anna Gass presented her book “Heirloom Kitchen” with a panel discussion moderated by the chair of the Middle Eastern Studies department at MSU, to an audience of 50 people.
- The films “Class Divide” and “The Public” were screened as part of the One Book One Community events, and well received by attendees.
- Shelley, Bush and Hawley attended training for serving patrons experiencing homelessness with Ryan Doud at the Clinton-Macomb Public Library.
C) President’s Report: none
A) Kristin out of the country.
She will be out of the country from November 4-13 on vacation, Brice is in charge while she is away.
B) Second meeting with community stakeholders
The second meeting of city officials, ELPD, ELPS administrators & board members, ELPL staff and board members regarding the teen after school program went well. High school and middle school administrators shared what is being offered to students afterschool. ELPL staff briefed the group on the numbers of teens and activity happening Monday – Friday. The group agreed to schedule another meeting for January 2020.
10) Executive Session
Meeting moved into Executive Session at 5:48pm
Meeting moved out of Executive Session at 6:09pm
All in favor.
Wilkinson adjourned the meeting at 6:10 pm