October 27, 2021 at 4:30 p.m.
East Lansing Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting
Library Large Meeting Room
950 Abbot Road
1. Call to Order 4:35 p.m.
2. Roll Call
Trustees present were: Diane Goddeeris, Polly Synk, Amy Zaagman, and Lance Wilkinson. Trustee Paul Cervenak was absent. Also, in attendance were Friends Vice President Sheila Taylor, Director Kristin Shelley, Assistant Director/Head of Customer Experiences Brice Bush, and Executive Assistant to the Director Shori Teeple. City Council Liaison Mayor Jessy Gregg was absent.
3.1 Approval of September 22, 2021 Meeting Minutes
All in favor.
3.2 Approval of Current Meeting Agenda
All in favor.
4.1 Audience/Public Comment
5.1 City Council Liaison Report:
5.2 Friends of the East Lansing Public Library Report
- September sales totaled $962.15, including $50 in Etsy sales and $150 in donations via the newsletter.
- The Friends will participate in an alternative holiday sale at Edgewood United Community Church on November 19 from 5:00pm-9:00pm.
6. Old Business
6.1 Construction Update
- Concrete has been poured for sidewalks, ramp and curbs; asphalt for the half circle drive is planned for November 1.
- There is no heat in the library; boilers are expected to arrive around November 5.
- Abatement services were completed on October 26 and 27. Additional air quality checks were completed on October 28.
- Full completion of all HVAC and site work is anticipated in mid-December.
6.2 Michigan Library Appreciation Month Update
- Governor Whitmer signed a proclamation declaring October Michigan Library Appreciation Month.
- The East Lansing City Council approved a resolution acknowledging October as Michigan Library Appreciation Month.
6.3 Teen Services Update
- The Teen After School Program has an average of 70 students daily.
- Snacks are provided courtesy of a donor.
- Teen programming has included: a Teen Advisory Group (with approximately 40 students participating); Project Lit (a nationwide initiative where teens receive donated copies of books to keep); a series on mental wellness called 'After the Bell'; and additional programs.
- MSU student volunteers provide program assistance.
- An MSU graduate student from the scholar program assists with programming 8-12 hours weekly.
6.4 Library closure - Action
- Board members expressed appreciation for the staff's service and want staff to enjoy some extra days off around the winter holidays for time off with family and friends.
- Resolution 08-22 to approve additional library closures on Sunday December 26, 2021 and Sunday January 2, 2022.
All in favor.
7. New Business
7.1 Library Staff Photo List Update
- Updated photo list was reviewed.
7.2 House Bill-4536 Update
- House Bill-4536 passed in the House of Representatives and moved onto the Senate.
8. Library Reports
8.1 Financial Report
- Fund Balance Report
- Printed financial and fund balance reports were shared.
8.2 Director's Report
- A written report was shared.
8.3 President's Report
Trustee Goddeeris and Trustee Synk along with Kristin and Brice are meeting with the Friends of the Library President, Maureen McCabe-Power and Friends of the Library board member Liesel Carlson to discuss a Memo of Understanding between the Friends of the Library and the East Lansing Public Library on October 28.
9.1 Shelley will be on vacation November 4-15.
Goddeeris adjourned the meeting at 5:13 p.m.
Board of Trustees
Diane Goddeeris, President
Polly Synk, Vice President
Paul Cervenak, Secretary
City Council Liasion
Mayor Jessy Gregg