September 20, 2017 at 4:30pm
East Lansing Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting
950 Abbot Rd.
1) Call to Order
Dodgson called the meeting to order at 4:31pm.
2) Roll Call
All trustees were present. Also present were Mayor Mark Meadows, City Manager George Lahanas, City Council Liaison Erik Altmann, Friends Vice President Sheila Taylor, Head of Customer Experiences Jason Shoup and Library Director Kristin Shelley.
Audience members included Head of Technology Services Lauren Douglass, Circulation Supervisor Robert Chartrand, Collections/Technical Services Librarian Amber Laude, Community Development Specialist Phyllis Thode, Executive Assistant Jennifer Amormino, Children’s Librarian Eva Weihl, Circulation Clerk Kathy Bracken and two journalism students from Michigan State University and one community member.
A) Approval of August 16, 2017 Meeting Minutes
Zaagman moved to approve the meeting minutes.
All in favor.
B) Approval of Current Meeting Agenda
Smith moved to approve the current meeting agenda.
All in favor.
A) Audience: none
B) Written Correspondence
• Email from a former patron
• Small gift given to the library by a PhD student
• Email from City Manager George Lahanas congratulating the library on the success of the solar eclipse party
A) City Council Liaison Report: none
B) Friends of the East Lansing Public Library Report
Taylor reminded the board that the Friends Used Book Sale is October 14 from 9am-5pm and October 15 from 1-4pm.
6) Old Business
A) Discussion on library logo
Shelley confirmed with the board that the logo designs created by the MSU student were not selected by the board and the board wishes to consider other logo design options. Shelley shared that she has received several applications for the Marketing/Communications Specialist position.
7) New Business
A) City Manager’s Budget Presentation
Lahanas presented on the City of East Lansing’s budget and information on the income tax and property tax reduction ballot proposals.
8) Library Reports
A) Financial Report
Shelley provided a year-to-date Financial Report. Discussion included a 14% decrease in penal fines and the Hoopla budget.
B) Director’s Report
Shelley provided a written Director’s Report. Discussion included:
• National Night Out
• Solar Eclipse Party
• One Book, One Community Author Reception and Kick-Off
• Launch of the Tool Library• Friends FUNdraiser
C) President’s Report: none
• 2017 State Librarian’s Excellence Award was awarded to the East Lansing Public Library. Award ceremony and luncheon is October 20.
• East Lansing Robotics Festival was a success on September 17
• New interior signs have been installed
• New bench in memory of Marjorie Shelley has been installed
• Library staff in-service day is September 29
• East Lansing Welcomes the World is October 1
• MLA Reception is October 19
• Fartumo Kusow Author Visit is November 1
Zaagman moved to adjourn the meeting.
All in favor.
Dodgson adjourned the meeting at 5:52pm.