November 15, 2017 at 4:30pm
East Lansing Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting
Library Conference Room 950 Abbot Rd.
1) Call to Order
Dodgson called the meeting to order at 4:33pm.
2) Roll Call
All Trustees were present. Also present were Friends Treasurer Toba Kaplowitz, Head of Customer Experiences Jason Shoup and Library Director Kristin Shelley. City Council Liaison Erik Altmann was absent.
A) Approval of October 18, 2017 Meeting Minutes
Zaagman moved to approve the meeting minutes.
All in favor.
B) Approval of Current Meeting Agenda
Wilkinson moved to approve the current meeting agenda.
All in favor.
A) Audience: none
B) Written Correspondence
• Thank you note from Patrick Losinski the Chief Executive Officer of the Columbus Metropolitan Library
• Thank you email from a Board Member of the Michigan Library Association
A) City Council Liaison Report
Shelley shared a report that was sent via email from Altmann. He stated that City Council will discuss the next steps, after the tax vote, at the November 21, 2017 discussion only meeting and at the budget retreat in December 2017.
B) Friends of the East Lansing Public Library Report
Kaplowitz reported that the Friends have been working to organize the Friendshop and the back storage area and that they continue to sell books online at eBay and Etsy.
6) Old Business:
A) Core Values of the East Lansing Public Library: Discussion
Shelley shared the statements for the six possible Core Values created during the staff training day. Discussion included:
• Combining similar core values
• Adding a learning or information core value
• General versus specific core values
• Listing the Library’s Mission Statement at the top of the document
• Paragraph form versus bullet points
7) New Business
A) Strategic Plan: Discussion
• Creating a new strategic plan versus updating the current strategic plan
• Community Advisory Committee
• Financial challenges of the City of East Lansing
B) 2018 Library Board Meeting Dates: Discussion
• Scheduling the January 2018 meeting on January 24, 2018
• Scheduling the May 2018 meeting on May 9, 2018
• Scheduling the June 2018 meeting on June 13, 2018
• Scheduling the October 2018 meeting on October 24, 2018
• Scheduling the November 2018 meeting on November 19, 2018
8) Library Reports
A) Financial Report
Shelley shared a written financial report. Discussion included:
• Furnish and installation of the chair rail by Laux
• Wainscoting in the women’s lobby restroom
• Posting the Youth Services Specialist vacant position after January 1, 2018
B) Director’s Report
Shelley shared a written director’s report. Discussion included:
• Michigan Library Association’s Annual Conference Reception
• State Librarian’s Excellence Award and Luncheon
• Wee Free Pantry
• East Lansing Welcomes the World
• Jim Gill concert
• Print and digital circulation
• Marketing/Communications Specialist position
• Principal Wells from the East Lansing High School
• Library liability and gross negligence as related to minors
C) President’s Report: none
9) Announcements: none
Smith moved to adjourn the meeting.
All in favor.
Dodgson adjourned the meeting at 5:20pm.