This Month at the Library: Back to School!
Check out what’s going on at the library in this month’s newsletter.
Featured: Resources for Back to School
As we welcome students back to school, ELPL has a wealth of resources to offer. Here are just a few that may be most helpful to students:
- Britannica School: Non-fiction content geared for K-12 students. Includes encyclopedia articles, photos, multimedia elements, eBooks, novels and essays.
- Mango Language: Self-paced, interactive language learning, available in over 70 languages!
- Tutor.com: On-demand tutoring, homework help, test preparation and writing assistance for kids and adults in over 60 subjects. Tutors are available 2pm-9pm EST, 7 days a week. You can also use their drop-off reviews, practice quizzes, and video lessons for self-study, 24/7.
- Learning Express: Test prep and skills building for all ages. Learn about a variety of school topics, prepare for college admissions tests, get guided support to earn a high school equivalency credential, and more!
And, you’re never too old to keep learning! For adults who have left school and entered the workforce, we have a variety of resources to help you build career and life skills. It’s also important to learn for fun, and we have plenty of resources to help you learn about your hobbies and interests as well! To see more featured resources for adults, check out our blog.
To see the full list of resources available to patrons of all ages, check out our resources list here.
Featured: Summer Reading Program Comes to a Close
The last day to turn in your tracking sheets for the summer reading program was Monday, August 7. If you haven’t already, stop by the library to pick up your prizes! If you were one of the lucky participants who received an East Lansing Family Aquatic Center pass during program registration, please use your pass in August before it expires. And, keep reading all year long! We hope you found some great new titles and authors these last few months, and that you enjoyed celebrating summer with us, #AllTogetherNow!
Featured: 100 Ways to Help - Community Supplies Drive
As part of our summer reading program theme of “All Together Now,” and in conjunction with celebrating ELPL’s 100th birthday, this summer we’re hosting supplies drives at the library to support organizations in our community! In June, we collected items for Haven House, and in July, we collected items for the Constellation Cat Cafe; thank you to everyone who donated!
In August, we’re focusing on collecting daily care items for EVE: End Violent Encounters. Drop off your donations in the collection bin near the teen room, and color in a heart on our tracking sheet for every item you donate! Our goal is to raise at least 100 items for each organization! To learn more and see what items we’re asking for, visit our blog.
Featured: CWC Fiction Contest Winners
Congratulations to the winners of the 2023 Fiction Writing Contest, co-hosted by ELPL and the MSU Community Writing Center!
You can read all the winning stories here. Thanks to everyone who entered the contest! We had a lot of fun reading everyone’s stories, and we hope you had fun writing them too!
Featured: Paging Through the Past
We’ve started a new series called “Paging Through the Past,” which explores the library’s storied history, decade by decade! Watch the sixth episode below, which talks about the origin of the Library of Things, rentable art, and more in the 1970s:
Featured: Upcoming Programs
- We’ll be in downtown East Lansing every Thursday during the Albert EL Fresco Game Nights! Find us in the Library on the Go and check out or return materials, sign up for a library card, and get to know our staff!
- ELPL Birders Club Meeting (all ages): Saturday, August 19, 10-11am
- Meet at the library to meet other enthusiasts, share stories and goals, learn about available resources, and practice identification strategies!
- Drop in for some recreational Scrabble!
- Join Meg from Woven Art Yarn Shop for a beginner crochet class! Please sign up at elpl.org.
- Join UK travel/relocation consultant Claire Evans for a delightful culinary tour of the UK inspired by “The Great British Baking Show” television series, aired on PBS and Netflix.
Featured: Meet the New Interim Director
ELPL is pleased to welcome Angelo Moreno into the role of Interim Library Director! Angelo has served as the Adult Services Librarian at ELPL for the last four years.
Angelo started his library career as a page at his childhood library, the Veterans Memorial Library of the Chippewa River District Library system in Mt. Pleasant. Concurrently, he worked at CMU's Clarke Historical Library, where he helped digitize historical newspapers from across the state. From there, he worked at Grand Rapids Public Library (GRPL), eventually serving as a branch manager. At GRPL, Moreno worked closely with Latinx staff to develop library services for the area Latinx and Spanish-speaking communities. Later, he spent roughly two years as a librarian in Puebla, Mexico. He returned to Michigan in 2019 and has worked at ELPL ever since. Angelo earned his MLIS through Wayne State University, eager to build a career helping to connect communities to books and other library resources.
Up and Coming Dates:
- The library will be closed on Sunday, September 3, and Monday, September 4, for Labor Day. This will end our summer Sunday closures.
Catch ELPL Next Month:
Be on the lookout for more excitement in September! ELPL will be sharing featured reading lists, book displays, and programs throughout the month. Some of the library programs will include:
- A Great British Baking Tour
- Beginner Crochet for Kids and Teens
- Page to Stage Discussion with Williamston Theatre
- Teen Super Smash Bros League
- And more!
For more information, visit the library’s website or follow ELPL on social media!