BEST CONSIDERATION DATE: October 12, 2021
PAY RATE: $23.89 per hour
HOURS PER WEEK: 25 hours per week. Includes evenings and weekends.
Reports to: Assistant Director/Head of Customer Experiences
Department: Public Services
The East Lansing Public Library (ELPL) is seeking a dynamic, part-time Youth Services Librarian with a strong knowledge of children's and tween services; and of science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM) programming. We seek someone with strong customer service skills, experience working with diverse communities, a proven ability to work independently and effectively in a team environment, and an interest in developing new skills. ELPL is committed to creating a safe and welcoming space for all patrons and seeks a candidate who has passion for including diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives in all aspects of their work.
Our part-time Youth Services Librarian will work with the ELPL Youth Services & Programming teams to develop creative STEAM, maker and technology-centered, social justice and equity focused, and literacy-based children's and tween programming. We are looking for someone with demonstrated experience organizing and running events with an interest in youth literature and education.
All ELPL staff will work evenings and weekends; serve on the library service desk or in the Maker Studio; provide basic technology instruction; participate in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of services; and assist in the care of the facility and collection maintenance.
- Master of Library Science degree (MLS, MLIS, MSLIS)
- At least two years of experience with children's and tween programming
- Experience working in a public library setting
- Demonstrated success providing children's storytimes
- Experience in early childhood literacy programming and initiatives
- Experience in STEAM programming
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated computer proficiency
- Demonstrated experience with customer service
- Experience with diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives
- Demonstrated success with community outreach
- Ability to perform routine and repetitive motions such as crouching, crawling, jumping, dancing, and otherwise engaging in very physical storytimes and children's programming on a regular basis
- Ability to sit and stand and use computers for extended periods
- Ability to lift library materials weighing up to 50 lbs., and to push book trucks weighing between 50 and 100 lbs.
The East Lansing Public Library is the recipient of the 2017 State Librarian's Excellence Award; a 26,000 square foot facility centrally located within the East Lansing community. The library includes meeting room spaces; quiet study areas; a teen area; a 1,100 square foot Maker Studio; and over 3,000 square feet of Children's space. The library is located just north of Michigan State University and is committed to providing services to the diverse MSU/East Lansing community. We employ full- and part-time staff committed to providing a place and resources where people gather to share information and ideas to enrich lives and foster community.
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with position and is subject to review and change at any time in accordance with the needs of the East Lansing Public Library. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable someone with a qualifying disability to perform the essential functions of the position.
THE CITY OF EAST LANSING IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. THIS POSITION REQUIRES A BACKGROUND CHECK.
To apply, please email or mail a resume and cover letter addressing how your experience meets the position requirements and preferences, along with a completed City of East Lansing General Application, opens a new window to:
Brice Bush, Assistant Director
Alternately, mail your completed application to:
East Lansing Public Library
Attention: Brice Bush, Assistant Director/Head of Customer Experiences
950 Abbot Road
East Lansing, MI 48823