CITY OF EAST LANSING
EAST LANSING PUBLIC LIBRARY
The City of East Lansing occupies the ancestral, traditional and contemporary lands of the Anishinaabeg – Three Fires Confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa and Potawatomi peoples land ceded in the 1819 Treaty of Saginaw.
AVAILABLE POSITION: Library Page
PAY RATE: $10.16 per hour
HOURS PER WEEK: 10-19 hours per week union position. Includes nights and weekends.
The East Lansing Public Library (ELPL) is committed to being a fully inclusive anti-racist place for the community we serve. We believe an organization functions at its highest ability when a shared culture that promotes accepting, respecting, and valuing differences including attributes such as age, income, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender expression, sexual identity, ability, language, family circumstances and cultural background is fostered. We are seeking individuals who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, and who reflect the community we serve. ELPL is seeking an enthusiastic, part-time Library Page with a strong work ethic and ability to prioritize duties. We are looking for someone who can work quickly and accurately both in a team setting and independently, and who has an interest in developing new skills.
Our Library Page will work with the ELPL Circulation Team under the supervision of the Circulation Supervisor to check in, shelve, and retrieve library materials, and process incoming and outgoing interlibrary loan requests.
- 2-3 shifts per week, each approximately five hours in length
- Starting as early as 9:00 am, working as late as 9:00 pm
- Ability to learn library shelving system and sort materials alphabetically and numerically
- Flexibility to work day, evening and weekend shifts regularly
- Ability to operate computers and computer software
- Ability to understand and follow detailed instructions
- Ability to work quickly, accurately and independently, and to prioritize tasks without close supervision after training is complete
- Punctuality and dependability
- Ability to withstand and perform routine and repetitive motions such as bending, crouching, reaching, standing, and pushing on a regular basis
- Ability to lift library materials weighing up to 50 lbs., and to push book trucks weighing up to 200 lbs.
- Ability to sit and stand and use computers for extended periods.
- Sort and shelve materials in correct location, quickly and accurately; one full black cart in 30 minutes after training is complete (45 minutes for children’s materials)
- Accurately check in items using the library’s automated system; 150 items per hour after training is complete
- Assess returned items for condition and completeness and follow proper procedures for processing
- Empty book drops and bins
- Retrieve items requested by patrons; 120 items per hour after training is complete
- Shift and straighten materials as needed
- Process interlibrary loan items, both incoming and outgoing; 60 items per hour after training is complete
- Use various methods, including e-mail, to maintain open communication
- Straighten, de-litter all public areas
- Direct patrons to staff for assistance
- Perform other tasks as assigned
ELPL will accept applications through Monday, June 12, 2023. To apply, please email a completed COEL General Employment Application to:
Conner Williams, Circulation Supervisor
Alternately, mail your completed application to:
Conner Williams, Circulation Supervisor
East Lansing Public Library
950 Abbot Rd.
East Lansing, MI 48823
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with position and is subject to review and change at any time in accordance with the needs of The East Lansing Public Library. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable someone with a qualifying disability to perform the essential functions of the position.
EAST LANSING IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER