City of East Lansing
East Lansing Public Library
PAY RATE: $9.25/hour
DEADLINE: March 9, 2018, 6:00 pm
HOURS PER WEEK: 10 hours per week. Contingent; At-Will position
Includes night and weekend hours
The East Lansing Public Library (ELPL) is seeking an enthusiastic, part-time Library Page with a
strong work ethic and ability to prioritize duties. We are looking for someone who can work
quickly and accurately both in a team setting and independently, and who has an interest in
developing new skills.
Our Library Page will work with the ELPL Circulation Team under the supervision of the
Circulation Supervisor to check in, re-shelve, and retrieve library materials, and process
incoming and outgoing interlibrary loan requests.
All ELPL staff may: provide basic technology instruction; participate in the planning,
implementing, and evaluating of services; and assist in the care of the facility and collection
- Ability to learn library shelving system and sort materials alphabetically and numerically.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends and have a flexible schedule.
- Ability to operate computers and computer software.
- Ability to understand and follow detailed instructions.
- Ability to work independently and to prioritize tasks without close supervision after
training is complete.
- Punctuality and dependability.
- Experience working in a public library setting.
- Demonstrated experience with customer service.
- Ability to withstand routine and repetitive motions such as bending, reaching, standing,
- Ability to lift library materials weighing up to 30 lbs., and to push book trucks weighing up
to 200 lbs.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
- Provide basic customer service.
- Sort and shelve library materials in correct location.
- Accurately check in items using the library’s automated system.
- Assess returned items for condition and completeness and follow proper procedures for
- Empty book drops and bins.
- Retrieve items requested by patrons.
- Perform shelf reading assignments to maintain correct order of materials on library
- Shift and straighten materials as needed.
- Process interlibrary loan items, both incoming and outgoing.
- Participate in a variety of collection projects that include: relabeling items; shifting library
materials from one location to another; weeding items and repairing damaged materials.
- Use various methods, including e-mail, to maintain open communication.
- Assist in keeping areas of the library clean and organized.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
To apply, please e-mail a resume and cover-letter addressing how your experience meets the position preferences, along with a completed COEL General Employment Application, to:
Robert Chartrand, Circulation Supervisor