Summer Reading Junior
What ages can participate in Summer Reading Junior?
Summer Reading Junior is an early literacy based program for children ages birth to three.
How does the program work?
As you complete the activities on your Summer Reading Junior sheet, check off each corresponding start. When all the activities are finished, bring this sheet to the library no later than August 10, 2019 to receive a coupon to the ELPL used book store and a choice of toy. One activity sheet per child, please.
How do I get a Summer Reading Junior sheet?
You can have a sheet emailed to you (you will need to print it) when you register for summer reading, or by emailing email@example.com. Or, you can pick one up at the Service Desk.
Why should you and your child, ages birth to three, participate in this early literacy based program?
- It is never too early to start preparing children for reading success. Children who have been read to and been given the opportunity to develop certain pre-reading skills from an early age have a better chance to benefit from reading instruction when they arrive at school.
- Parents and caregivers play important roles as a baby's first teacher. This program is meant to be interactive between a child and their parent or caregiver.
- Studies have shown that children who have been introduced to libraries and library programs from an early age are more likely to become lifelong readers.
- It is a fun bonding experience!
The library hosts weekly early childhood literacy events for three different age groups:
- Babies to 18 months
- Toddlers aged 18 to 36 months
- Children ages 3 to 5 years old
All three groups meet in the Children's Room. We hope to see you soon!