Library policies and procedures are reviewed on a regular basis and are subject to change as the circumstances change.
Exclusion Procedure & Guidelines
Visitors must behave in a socially acceptable manner on the premises of the East Lansing Public Library (ELPL) and at all times in compliance with the laws of the State and Federal government and the ordinances of this City. Visitors who fail to abide by ELPL’s Patron Code of Conductopens a new window and policies are subject to having their library privileges suspended and/or being excluded from the premises of the East Lansing Public Library. In some instances, the repeated misbehavior of visitors or the seriousness of their actions may warrant a longer exclusion than that in the exclusion procedures as determined by the discretion of the director.
In cases where the patron disagrees with the exclusion letter, he/she can send a letter of appeal to the East Lansing Public Library Board of Trustees (950 Abbot Road, East Lansing, MI 48823) within seven days of receipt of the exclusion letter.
Procedures for addressing infractions and excluding visitors from ELPL property are:
Infraction 1 (Minimum Exclusion) Includes any Civil Infraction
1. Violation of Internet policy, including the display of profanity or sexually explicit graphics.
- First Violation: 1-Day Exclusion
- Second Violation: 7-Day Exclusion
- Third Violation: 30-Day Exclusion
Infractions 2-4 (Minimum Exclusions) Includes any Misdemeanors
2. Efforts to bypass the security of the network, misuse of the computers or Internet access.
3. Possession of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs. Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs to the extent that one is unable to exercise care of self, or presents a risk of physical harm to himself or another, or to property of another.
4. Verbal and/or physical harassment of staff or patrons to include, but not limited to: using threatening language; stalking behavior, i.e., following persons on premises without their permission: staring or watching persons in a manner which could reasonably be construed as threatening.
- First Violation: 6-Month Exclusion
- Second Violation: 1-Year Exclusion
- Third Violation: 2-Year or more Exclusion
Infractions 5-10 (Minimum Exclusions) Includes any Felonies
5. Destroying or defacing library material and/or property. Exclusion period may be extended longer until financial restitution is paid for damage.
6. Selling, soliciting or distributing illegal drugs or alcoholic beverages on library premises.
7. Theft, or attempted theft, of library property or personal property of another. Exclusion period may be extended longer until financial restitution is paid for theft.
8. Failure to surrender or remove from the premises any items, upon request of library staff or security person, that are deemed by them to be a weapon, dangerous ordinance or contraband.
9. Engaging in fighting, challenging another person to fight, physically abusing or assaulting anyone on library property.
10. Engaging in sexual activity, including solicitation of prostitution or indecent exposure.
- First Violation: 1-Year Exclusion
- Second Violation: 2-Year Exclusion
- Third Violation: 3-Year Exclusion
In addition to the listed exclusion guidelines for the East Lansing Public Library, any civil infraction or criminal offense committed on the library premises, in violation of local ordinances or state or federal law will be subject to prosecution.
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees on October 15, 2014