At some point, you - or someone you know - may have to deal with some legal issues. Here at the library we can help get you on track for finding the appropriate information for your concerns.
Here in the library, you may start your search in our nonfiction stacks. Most of our legal resources are under the 340-349 call numbers. Some examples are Every Tenant's Legal Guide, The Trustee's Legal Companion, and Living Together. If your legal question is geared more towards business ventures, you would look in the 658s. This will contain information on starting, financing, and running a business from the legal point of view.
Through MeL, there are a wide variety of free resources available through their legal portal. On the main legal page, I'd like to point out two useful sources.
- Legal Forms Library Here you can search for legal forms by name or by topic. This is a part of Gale Databases
- Michigan Legal Help This website has Self Help Tools broken down by topic. Within these categories, there are Toolkits to help guide users through the forms and process. Once a user clicks on forms, they will be redirected to LawHelp Interactive to work through the forms. Michigan Legal Help "works with judges, courts, lawyers, bar associations, nonprofit legal aid agencies, legal self-help centers, libraries and many others to promote coordinated and quality assistance for persons representing themselves in civil legal matters in Michigan."
From the side menu on the MeL legal portal main page there are three very handy links.
- Common Michigan Legal Questions This contains guides for popular searches. This includes Landlord/Tenant Guides, Losing Your Privilege to Drive, and Michigan Consumer Protection.
- Finding Legal Assistance This is where users can find information about attorneys in Michigan. Including, but not limited to: Court-Appointed Attorneys, Elder Law of Michigan, and the State Bar of Michigan.
- Michigan Courts and Judicial Information This leads directly to information about the courts. This includes court rules as well as costs associated with court.
This is just a place to start! As a disclaimer: we, at this library, are not law professionals. We can lead you to the information that may be relevant to your concerns, but we cannot give you legal guidance. All these links will give you the same disclaimer - that the law is a federally regulated practice and will encourage you to consult with a lawyer.