- Hours & Location
- Contact the Library
- Your Library Account
- Information and Policies
- Donations to the Library
- Library Board
- Mission statement
- Vision statement
- Meeting Room Policy
- Collection Management Policy
- Photograph Policy
- Patron Code of Conduct
- Friends of the Library
- Staff Directory
- Working at the Library
- Giving to the Library
- Volunteer at the Library
- One Book One Community
- Community Advisory Committee
Getting a Library Card
Library cards are free to:
- Everyone who lives in and pays taxes to the City of East Lansing.
- Minors (under 18) who reside in East Lansing.
- East Lansing property owners who are listed by name on the City Assessor's Property Search or can present a current tax bill.
- All current City of East Lansing employees.
- Non-resident East Lansing Public School (ELPS) students who are listed on the enrollment list provided by the schools.
- All current Michigan State University (MSU) students.
- Institutions within the City of East Lansing with a letter on the business/organization letterhead signed by the person fiscally responsible for the business/organization.
- A City Limits Boundary Map is available as a pdf here: Boundary Map.
- Students must provide a valid MSU student ID, in addition to proof of address. If address is not permanent, a second permanent address may be requested.
- Non-residents are charged $30 per year ($18 for 6 months) for an individual card or $40 per year for a family membership.
- Family membership allows each family member at the same address to receive a card.
- Non-residents must also provide Driver's License or State ID and proof of address if address on ID is not current.
Minors (under 18)
- All minors applying for library cards must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- If the minor resides in East Lansing the parent or guardian will be required to present the documentation listed to prove residency.
Non-resident ELPS students
- Student must be listed on the current East Lansing Public School enrollment list or bring in letter from school principal on school letterhead verifying enrollment.
- No new cards will be issued after June 1 until the new fall list is issued.
- Adults must have Driver's License or State ID or government issued picture ID and proof of address.
- If address is not current on Michigan Driver's License or State ID, additional proof of address will be necessary. Proof of address can be made with:
- Listing as homeowner on City Assessor's Property Search (patron's name must be listed as owner or furnish proof of ownership).
- Current lease or deed.
- Most recent utility bill or bank statement (checks are not an acceptable alternative).
- MSU students may use listing on MSU People Search or StuInfo to verify local address.
- Please call the Circulation Department at 517-351-2420, ext. 0, to check if an address/property falls inside or outside the city tax area.
- Some residences with East Lansing mailing addresses may actually be in Meridian or Bath townships and thus do not pay taxes to the City of East Lansing.
Expiration of Library Cards:
- Resident adult and minor cards, MSU student cards, Non-resident East Lansing Public School student cards -- expire every three years on anniversary of receipt of card.
- Non-resident adult, minor -- expire annually on anniversary of receipt of card.